"Women are the guardians of continuity. If the hearth moves, they move with it. Remember, it is the gypsy women who keep their men on the road."

~"Boomerang Love," Jimmy Buffett







Intro Part II: The Method

Before we plunge into my wild adventures, a little bit of housekeeping. Being the Type A overachieving perfectionist that I am, I did quite a bit of research and preparation before launching this blog. Sure I wanted it to be pretty and tricked out with neat gadgets, but ultimately it's going to be content-driven. My primary goal is to bring to life some of my most memorable travel strories. My ulterior motive (there always is one) is to start developing a portfolio, because if things go well, I may be able to explore travel writing on a more professional level. Someday, if I do become a well-respected, successful and pre-eminent travel writer, I thought it might be important to give credit to the reference materials I used to guide me:

Google Blogger For Dummies, Susan Gunelius – My manual for the actual logistics and tools for pimping out the layout and format of the blog

The Huffington Post Complete Guide to Blogging – A surprisingly pleasurably read which features fascinating case studies. From Obama's masterfully crafted '08 presidential campaign to Perez Hilton's flame war with a California pageant queen, this book impressed upon me the value and importance of finding my own unique voice amid a noisy blogosphere. Also, its unabashed jibes at the right-wing (they single-handedly attribute Senator Trent Lott's resignation to active bloggers), while gratuitous, often made me smile.

Who Let the Blogs Out?: A Hyperconnected Peek at the World of Weblogs, Biz Stone – A very accessible introduction into the conventions of blogging etiquette and culture. Refreshingly free of jargon and exclusive tech-speak, it's a great introduction to the blogging culture for novices.

Travel Writing, L. Peat O'Neill – This manual was primarily geared for writers with the intent to submit their articles for publication, but it's supposedly the holy [religious text of choice] for travel writers. The most important (and challenging) lesson I took away from this book was that the skilled travel writer does not rely on first person perspective to drive the narrative. When traveling, it is easy to get caught up in the rather self-important assumption that the world is dying to hear a point-by-point narration of our every activity: I am reminded of the self-indulgent Xangas and Livejournals we all so meticulously kept in high school, and it makes me cringe. This book reminded me that it's not all about me- I'm just an observer who was lucky enough to be there.

Tales from Margaritaville – Similar to Travel Writing, I am using this book as a model for great story-telling. I am relying on Jimmy to keep me grounded and focused on my objectives (you can see more details on finding Margaritaville in my prior post). Pretty much, I want to avoid the self-fellation which is so common from those who fancy themselves consummate travelers. You know the type – the dreadlocked nomads who claim to be pre-eminent experts in “culture” because they have a few more stamps in their passports and a distaste for showering. This book serves as a poignant reminder that there are colorful characters with meaningful, entertaining stories everywhere. You just have to find them.

Finally, the last item has to do with how I want this blog to be. It's nice to have a venue for expressing myself, but my hope is that this blog provides something of value to the audience (that's you guys). I want it to be a conversation, so please feel free to leave feedback in the form of questions, comments, and even criticism (as it will help me improve my writing). I spend a lot of time sifting through my journal for subjects which I think are most interesting, but I could be completely off base. If there are certain topics you are interested in, something you're curious about, please let me know so I don't waste my time investigating the migration patterns of blind Andean llamas. Other than that, thanks for coming on this ride with me, and I hope we have many more adventures together!

No comments:

Post a Comment